How to survive being married to a musician

being married to a musician

Our wedding day (Photo: Donna vd Watt Photography)

Being married to a musician has its perks. Strange perks (like when he decides to “beat box” to you ranting about something) but perks, none the less. Are you dating a muso? Well then, girlfriend, this advice is for you!

How to survive being married to a musician
1. Learn to not look up when he refers to “Pooky” because it’s probably his guitar. Understand that he names his instrument. It will probably be an even mushier term of endearment than he has for you.

2. Expect him to spend a fair sum of money on things like strings, pads and sticks. (Clip note: They are not what you think they are.)

3. Never ever refer to a singer as a “musician”. You are only deserving of the title “musician” when you play an instrument.

4. Do not break into hysterics when you find him making this facial expressions while listening to music:

No, he is not having a mild heart attack. This just means that he likes and admires what he is listening to. (It also means that he probably did not hear you shriek loudly in panic anyways.)

5. Get use to listening to music on it’s highest volume. Or be okay with him wearing headphones all the time. Because there is no other way to really listen to music.

6. “Sound Check” – Definition: You will be at the event hours before anyone else is.

7. When the lights go on and everyone goes home after an event, keep calm while you watch him potter around on stage. Be prepared to hang around as he “jams” with the band… yes, the same band he just “jammed” with for the past hour.

8. Learn how to speak “muso”:
Quick lesson:
A “sick” bassline means that it’s good.
When someone is a “beast”, they are quite skilled with their instrument.

And remember:
“Shedding” does not refer to hair loss.
“Breaks” does not mean someone broke something on stage.
“Double time” and “Half time” has nothing to do with sport.

These views and opinions are solely based on my experiences. Reference:

6 Comments on How to survive being married to a musician

1. bongani
    May 11, 2016 at 12:05 (1 year ago)

Lol!!!! Could you please explain this to my wife one day when I get married!

• Luchae
      May 16, 2016 at 13:55 (1 year ago)

Gladly! 🙂

2. Melissa Javan
    February 13, 2017 at 10:36 (8 months ago)

Hahaha! I LOVE this. Seriously I thought my hubby is very unnecessary to always play the music loud. Then he gets mad at me if I mention this.
    Pooky? That’s a bit weird. For everything else on this blog post, Luchae you spoke to my heart. Glad I’m not alone – musician’s wife/ blogger. Oh yes, he doesn’t like to be called a musician – he is a music composer because he writes music for film and what what.

• Luchae
      February 13, 2017 at 12:34 (8 months ago)

Hahaha Ahhh I feel your pain, sister!!! And yes, the Pooky thing is a real life story!

3. Shaveh
    February 13, 2017 at 11:26 (8 months ago)

When your lounge gets flipped fro a sitting area into a wired up stage – amps, drums and all. Headphones are either constantly going missing or faught over – don’t even dream of messing with the ‘proper’ head set. I had to chat to him about having the instrument in the bedroom – not in for early morning serenades Then the kids are similar, everything is an instrument and it either becomes a tune, rhythm or full stage show. I agree, it has its perks but shoo it can get a little loud sometimes

• Luchae
      February 13, 2017 at 12:35 (8 months ago)

Omw, sounds like you’re starting a band baby! LOL Yep, we’ve also had “who touched my headphones” situations at our house. We all know to treat his equipment like gold. And yes, some of them are named! hahaha